If you are assembling a system by parts, one of the elements you should choose is the PC box , a sheet metal, plastic or aluminum structure whose function is to house and protect the CPU, RAM, motherboard, power supply , expansion boards, and storage devices or drives.
Cheapest: Thermaltake V200 Tempered Glass Edition
If your budget is very tight, this is a good option. It is a box that, for just over 50 euros, offers a good balance between aesthetics and performance .
It has a solid metal construction and a very careful design designed for gaming , with a darkened ABS front and a large dark-tinted tempered glass window.
It comes with a pre-installed 120mm rear exhaust fan and can accommodate up to 6 fans, front, rear and top liquid cooling, and up to 160mm shooter, and includes dust filters . Supports motherboards up to ATX with 2 + 3 drive bays.
It does not come with lighting, but the V200 TG RGB version has fans with RGB lighting.
- Price: 68 euros, approx.
Mid-priced: Corsair Carbide 275R
If you have a little more budget, you can opt for a mid-priced case, with a higher quality chassis to house high-end gaming components . This model includes everything that the most demanding users may need: it is a medium ATX tower with a careful and minimalist design, with a large semi-dark tempered glass window, extensive cooling possibilities and RGB lighting inside.
It includes two pre -installed 120mm fans, and the sides and front can be removed to install fans and filters. It has room to house a 360mm radiator in the front, a 120mm radiator in the rear, and a 240mm radiator in the top. In addition, it incorporates a superior anti-dust filter .
Everything in this box invites order: it has ample storage space, no need to cross cables, and the cable routing cutouts are well protected. Also, for a little more, you can opt for the gold version.
- Price: 85 euros, approx.
Premium option: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE
Are you one of those who has no limits with your budget? Then it is worth betting on this box. It is also not one of the most expensive on the market, but we will not deny that its price is high.
It has a very interesting gaming aesthetic , with LED strips on the side, as well as 3 LL120 RGB fans that can be seen through the front glass (the sides are also made of tempered glass). In addition, it integrates the CORSAIR Commander PRO that allows you to control the lighting. The top plate and trim are made of brushed aluminium.
The cooling system is flawless (also software controllable via CORSAIR Commander PRO). Includes 280 and 360 mm capacity radiators, water tanks and quality filters.
- Price: 270 euros, approx.
What should you pay attention to?
When choosing it, you may be guided only by the price, but you should also look at other details:
- Size : must be according to the motherboard and all components.
- Cooling : most of the equipment is cooled by fans that transmit cold air from the outside. They are effective, but noisy. Make sure it has the necessary fans to promote air flow (at least one in front and one behind). If it doesn’t, you’ll have to buy additional fans. If you opt for liquid cooling , a silent system with a high cooling capacity, you will have to choose boxes with a large space to fit the pump and all the tubes, or, even easier, opt for a team with the pre-installation done. In all cases, you should make sure that the box has the necessary perforations to facilitate the exit of hot air.
- Connectivity – Make sure you have the ports you need now, with room for what you may require in the future.
- Expansion capacity : if tomorrow you want to change a component or add more hard drives, the ideal is that the box does not limit you and that it has space for it.
In addition to these aspects, you should also take into account where the power supply is installed, if there is enough space behind the motherboard (to facilitate cable routing), if it has anti-dust filters and, why not, if aesthetically is what you are looking for.
Setting up your own system is painstaking and sometimes complicated work, but it brings great satisfaction as you can customize everything to your liking.